Pages

Thursday 9 May 2019

manufacturing a metal drill gauge

At school in metal tech. We have been making drill gauges, used to find the size of drills. I would have a photo of my drill gauge on here but unfortunately, I took it home and dumped it before I knew we were doing an instructional blog.











Although this is what a proper drill gauge would look like.
To make the drill gauge we used these tools.

1. Metal bar 20mm W 100mm L 5mm T













2. 300mm stainless steel ruler











3 Scriber.












What is a Scriber?
A scriber is a hand tool used in metalworking to mark lines on workpieces, prior to machining. The process of using a scriber is called scribing and is just part of the process of marking out. 
4 Engineers Square.












What are engineers square?
An engineer's square is a tool used in metalworking and woodworking. It is. very similar to a try square in appearance and use, and is mainly used to check a workpiece is 'square', (that is, two sides are at 90 degrees to one another).

5 Buffer.












What is a buffer?
The Polishing Machine (also called the Buffing Machine) is used to polish soft metals including copper and brass as well as plastics such as perspex.

6 Drill press.












What is a drill press?\
Drill press, also called Drilling Machine, device for producing holes in hard substances. The drill is held in a rotating spindle and is fed into the workpiece, which is usually clamped in a vise resting on a table.

7 Micrometer.








What is a micrometer?
a gauge that measures small distances or thicknesses between its two faces, one of which can be moved away from or towards the other by turning a screw with a fine thread.

How to use a Micrometer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-cm_ocn9p4

8 Vernier caliper.






What is a vernier caliper?
vernier caliper is a measuring device used to precisely measure linear dimensions. It is a very useful tool to use when measuring the diameter of a round objects like cylinders because the measuring jaws can be secured on either side of the circumference.

How to use vernier caliper?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdkYIVJ3Vc

9 Emery cloth.












What is emery cloth?

Description

Emery cloth is a type of coated abrasive that has emery glued to a cloth backing. It is used for hand metalworking. It may be sold in sheets or in narrow rolls.


10 Center punch.












What is a center punch?
A tool consisting of a metal rod with a conical point for making an indentation, to allow a drill to make a hole at the same spot without slipping.


11 Hammer.








12 Odd leg caliber.












What is an odd leg caliper?
caliper having the points of its legs bent in the same direction for measurements on stepped surfaces or similar surfaces

My drill gauge was done well Although I could have marked my work out a little better. I found marking it out to honestly be the hardest part of making my drill gauge because im not a very precise person. I overcame this by asking for help and seeing how other people were doing. I learned ho to center punch on the line.

Method of making this drill gauge is pretty simple. You clean up your 100x20x5 bar, Mark out through the middle of the bar and space out where your drill holes will be. Drill the holes the size you are doing. Clean the bar again, buffer it. Then you should be done.

This is my own online created drill gauge.
If I'm being honest, I did have a much better design that I put two lessons worth of time into. I could however not find it so I made a quick 5 minute one. This way I can at least get a score for it.
Here is a picture of my original design that was a failure due to me not setting the printer up properly. However, if I was to attempt it again I would know how to do it easily this time because I have learned from my past mistakes.

5 comments:

  1. I like how you wrote about the tools you used and what they are. Maybe next time write about how you used them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright thank you bro! love the feedback will take into consideration.

      Delete
  2. Hey Driaan, this post was very informative on what tools you used and you done well explaining what they do. Adding onto Gabriels comment you should also show a video of you using them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the pictures that you have on your blog. Good work. Also, adding onto Gabriel's and Liam's comment, you should add a video.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.